Jul 5, 2010

Palace at Makarpura (west) at Baroda - 1895

Photograph of the Makarpura Palace, near Baroda, Gujarat from the Curzon Collection, taken by an unknown photographer during the 1890s. The palace was built by the Gaekwar Sayaji Rao III (ruled 1875-1939) between 1883-1890 and designed by Robert Fellowes Chisholm (1840-1915) in an Italian Renaissance style. It lies to the south of Baroda and was used as a country residence. This view from the south-west shows the main fa├žade, with a projecting port-cochere entrance. It consists of two three-storey wings arcaded with semi-circular arches, linked by a central arcade and tower. The palace is surrounded by English-style formal gardens, shown in the foreground.