Asi Ghat is situated at the confluence of the Asi and Ganges Rivers at
Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh. This is the southernmost ghat in the city
where pilgrims bathe prior to worshipping at two huge lingams (a phallus
worshipped as a symbol of the Lord Shiva). One of the lingams is under a
peepal tree and another known as the asisangameshvara (the ‘Lord of the
Confluence of the Asi’) is in a small marble temple just off the ghat.
Baji Rao's Ghat
Batsaraj Ghat has two Jain temples. Varanasi, founded in the sixth
century BC is one of the seven sacred cities of the Hindus but is also
holy for the Jains. According to Jain traditions it is the birthplace of
four tirthankaras and is counted among Jain sacred tirthas.
Gai Ghat - In the 12th century the ghat marked the southern entrance to Varanasi
and still retains the Patana Darvaja, a symbolic relic of that period.
The name of the ghat is derived from the huge stone image on it of a Gai
(Cow), which is considered to be holy and revered in Hinduism.
Kedar Ghat - The ghat is mythologically related to Kedarnath in the Himalayas which
is Shivas mountain abode and has one of the 12 lingas of light. Above
the steps of the ghat is the Temple which houses the Kedareshvaram
Lingam. The walls of the temple with red and white stripes indicate
southern Indian management. Its ghat become a busy during the sacred
month of Sravana (July/August), the month of the rains.
Mosque at Panchaganga Ghat. The mosque at this ghat, was built by Aurangzeb (r.1658-1707), the ruler
of the Mughal Empire. The mosque is on the site of an earlier Vishnu
temple known as Bindu Madhav, this is probably why the mosque is known
locally as Madho Rai Ki Masjid. Parts from the temple were used in the
construction of the mosque. The minarets (seen in this view), were
restored by James Prinsep in the 19th century and further shortened
before they were finally pulled down by the government due to their
Nepalese temple at Lalita Ghat. The temple was built at the behest of the King of Nepal in the typical
Kathmandu style using wood and woodcarvers brought from Nepal. The
temple houses an image of Pashupateshwar which is a manifestation of
Lord Shiva at Pashupatinath in the Kathmandu Valley.
Rana Mahal Ghat with a walled palace beyond, built by the Maharana of Udaipur
Shivala Ghat dominated by the Palace of Maharaja Chet Singh
Munshi Ghat was built by Munshi Shri Dhar, Dewan of the Raja of Nagpur.
Photographer: Madho Prasad
Source: British Library