Photographer: Samuel Bourne
Government House, designed by Captain Charles Wyatt and built between 1799-1802, was the residence for the British Governors-General till 1911. The neo-classical architectural style was based on Robert Adam's design of the Derbyshire's Kedleston Hall which was completed in 1770. "The entrances, enriched with four monumental neo-classical gateways, crowned with sphinxes and lions, set the fashion for British governement houses and residencies thoughout India."
Source: British Library