Loading...

Nov 27, 2011

An Ornamental Pool and Palm within the Eden Gardens, Calcutta (Kolkata) - 1890's

Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
The Eden Gardens, situated at the northern end of the Maidan, Calcutta, was named after Emily and Fanny Eden, the sisters of Lord Auckland, Governor-General from 1836-1842. The sisters tended the garden when it formed part of the Viceroy's estate and later it became a famous public garden, which now contains Calcutta Cricket Club.

Source: British Library