Loading...

May 19, 2015

Lall Dighi and General Post Office (GPO) - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1875

Lall Dighi and General Post Office (GPO) - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1875

Lall Dighi and General Post Office (GPO) - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1875

Lall Dighi and General Post Office (GPO) - Calcutta (Kolkata) 1875


Photographer: W. G. Stretton
A view of the Lal Dighi (tank or reservoir) and the Post Office in Dalhousie Square, originally Tank Square, and now called Benoy Badal Dinesh Bagh (BBD Bagh) in Calcutta. This tank was the largest of three in the Chowringhee area of Calcutta and had been converted from a pond into a fresh water supply in 1709. The Post Office was built in 1868.
Source: British Library