Eden Gardens, situated at the northern end of the Maidan, in Calcutta, was named after Emily and Fanny Eden, the sisters of Lord Auckland, Governor-General from 1836-1842. The sisters tended the garden when it formed part of the Viceroy's estate and later it became a famous public garden, opened in 1840. Part of the garden forms the Ranji Stadium where the first cricket match was played in 1864; today Eden Gardens is renowned as a cricket stadium. Eden Gardens also contains a Pagoda, brought from Prome in Burma after the Second Burmese War and erected in 1856, by Lord Dalhousie, then the Governor-General. This is a view in the Eden Gardens, looking across the stone bridge towards the pagoda.
Source: British Library