Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Situated on the west bank of the Hooglhy River, Calcutta the Royal Botanical Gardens were founded in 1786 by Colonel Robert Kyd. The objective was to collect plants indigenous to the country and for introduction and acclimatization of plants from foreign parts. The gardens were the leading centre for botanical investigation and it was here the varieties of Assam and Darjeeling tea were developed. The gardens were also an important source for the cultivation of orchids, bamboos and palms, supplying plants to Kew and other European gardens.
Source: British Library