View from Hastings Bridge from 'Views of Calcutta and Barrackpore' taken by Samuel Bourne in the 1860s. Hastings Bridge crossed the Tolly Nullah, a canal off of the Hooghly River, was named after the Governor-General Marquis of Hastings (1813-1823) administration. In 1874 this suspension bridge collapsed and was replaced by a stronger bridge. A view looking towards shipping in the Hooghly. The twin-funnelled paddle-steamer Mauritius and the three-masted sailing ship Bombay are moored in mid-stream.
Source: British Library