Oct 19, 2014
View from the south-west of the High (Supreme) Court building on Esplanade Row in Calcutta (Kolkata) - c1875
The Supreme Court building opened in 1782 and Sir William Jones, the great Orientalist, was judge here from 1783 until his death in 1794. Criminal and civil cases were heard here for both Indians and Europeans and also appeals for Europeans from the Calcutta Presidency.
Photographer: W. G. Stretton
Source: British Library