Old Indian Photos

Feb 5, 2013

Government House, Barrackpore, from the south - 1865


 

This photograph of Government House in Barrackpore was taken in the 1860s by Samuel Borne. Barrackpore, north of Calcutta along the Hoogly river, was founded in 1775 as a cantonment..Government House, designed by Captain Thomas Anbury in 1813 was used as a residence for the British Governors-General.

Source: British Library (bl.uk)

0 comments:

Post a Comment