Photograph of a State procession in Baroda (Vadodara) from an 'Album of portraits and views in Baroda' taken by an unknown photographer in c. 1880. Vadodara, on the banks of the river Vishwamitri, was capital of the princely state of Baroda from 1734 till 1947 under the Gaekwads who transformed the city into a progressive centre of education, culture and industry. In 1802 a treaty was concluded between the Gaekwar and East India Company by which a British Resident was appointed to the court and a provision was made for the maintenance of a British military force in the state. After Indian independence the city became a part of the Bombay state and in 1960 of the state of Gujarat. This is a view looking down a street during a State procession in Baroda (Vadodara).
Source: British Library